Friday, April 3, 2015

Colors

See the video ==> Colors


Yummy asked me to do a write-up of how I came up with the idea for this act.  

The short answer is Yummy.  

The slightly longer answer is this: 

I had been trying to come up with an idea for a group number for the opening show at Le Artiste.  I keep a list of songs and ideas for routines in a notebook, and I was looking through it.  

I wanted to do something with particles, since I was just learning about those, and I wanted an upbeat song.  I didn't have any luck and so I shelved the idea.  

A few weeks later, I was attending an Artiste class of Yummy's, and she was wearing a suit that kept changing color.  I asked how it worked, she told me, and BAM!  Idea. :-) 

I went back through my song list and found Cascada's 'Everytime We Touch.'  The upbeat track was perfect for what I wanted.  

I wanted the colors of the suit to change to match the various particle effects I was planning.  There would be 4 of us onstage, so I wanted the focus to be on the colors. 

I made a black box and then proceeded to fill it with particle effects.  Not so many that it overwhelmed the dancers and the stage, but instead complemented them. 

It didn't take me long to choreograph the routine and after I was done with the choreo, I started laying out where I wanted the color changes to happen.  

I also used the layout to plan the various movers, but I kept everything pretty simple.  Again, I wanted the focus to be on the dancers and the colors. 

As I was working through the routine, I decided I wanted a sequence - one that looked almost like chasing lights - where one dancer is a color, then that color moves to the next dancer, and so on, but quickly.  

There was a bit of back and forth - working on the colors and where in the routine they would go, then working on the various particles, etc. 

I finished the routine and we did a few run-throughs to see how it looked.  Aura was kind enough to provide boots for the costumes and from there, it all just fell together.  

I love how the finished routine turned out.  It was fairly simple to put it all together - I think it looked much more complicated than it actually was!  

A big thank you to Aura, who graciously provided the boots for the costumes, to Lil for dancing with us, and especially to Yummy, whose skills and imagination helped bring my idea to life.  

You ladies rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment